Dr. Michael L. Brown joins me again, this time to talk about his newest book, Playing With Holy Fire: A Wake-Up Call To The Pentecostal-Charismatic Church. It was a privilege and an honor to have him back on the show again.
We discuss some of the excesses and abuses that plague the charismatic movement and Pentecostal church, as well as other aspects of the abuse of funds and “fame” of some preachers, all in a gracious tone, without calling anybody out by name.
For those of you listening and you have no idea who he is, he’s got a lot of other books and sermons he’s given about various topics, like revival in America, personal holiness, Jewish apologetics, the culture wars, to name a few. He’s also a national radio show host and his show is called The Line of Fire.
He was one of the leaders of The Brownsville Revival, which birthed the FIRE School of Ministry that I attended in my early twenties.
Listen or Download the entire episode here (Audio mp3):
Please scroll down to the bottom of the article for podcast subscription options.
Golden Nuggets from This Week’s Show & Points that Came Up:
- Why do continuationists & charismatics have to prove it’s OK to believe the Scriptures and expect the miracles of the Bible to take place today, and why is the burden of proof rarely placed on the cessationist to explain why not?
- The tendency for charismatics to sometimes be gullible because we’re open to the miraculous after having seen other genuine miracles and healings
- The need for finances in ministry is a very real thing and likewise is the temptation to resort to carnal money-making schemes in order to obtain such funding. We need to walk forward in a pure heart.
- Some damage the hyper prosperity gospel has done in other places in the world, such as developing nations
- The pendulum swing from an extreme poverty mentality (i.e. holiness is demonstrated by how little you have) to an extreme prosperity mentality (i.e. God’s blessing is demonstrated by an outward blessing in things and possessions)
- The difference between a grateful mentality, a poverty mentality and a prideful mentality when it comes to finances in the Kingdom (Dr. Brown refers to Robert Morris’s book The Blessed Life)
Books Mentioned Today:
Like Our Stuff on Facebook:
In other audiobook news
It’s confirmed, I am currently recording the narration for SJ Hill’s newest book, What is God Really Like? Unique Insights Into His Fascinating Personality Just like we discussed in a recent episode of the podcast he was a guest on, since that recording we’ve gone ahead with it. At the time of posting this, I’ve got 20 % of his book in the can, and I anticipate a good month or so before it’s all done and submitted to ACX to be distributed to Audible, Amazon, and iTunes.
But if you’re like me, and you have a hard time reading all the Kindle books and print books you collect, it MIGHT be worth your while to get a membership with Audible, a sister company to Amazon.
A membership at Audible.com costs $14.99/month and every title is discounted by about 30% for members. Plus, they throw in a monthly credit which can get you one FREE book each month on top of the discount.
Go to Audibletrial.com/fireonyourhead (one word) and when you sign up, you’ll get a credit for free which allows you to automatically download whatever book you want.
So in other words, the first audiobook you listen to is completely on them, risk-free. If you don’t like it and decide to cancel before the trial is over, you can still keep the book you got. I started out this way a long time ago and I have been listening to books ever since, and now even narrate them. So my opinion might be a little biased ;)
Thank you very much and enjoy the interview!
Before you go…
Before I let you go I need to ask you a quick favor. Please jump over to iTunes or Stitcher and give this show a rating, a review, or leave a comment or all three. It would mean a lot to me and help people find us!
Thank you so much, and I look forward to talking to you in the next episode of Fire On Your Head.